Monday, May 3, 2010

Thing 5: Wikis

One of the reasons I signed up for this project is to better understand terms such as wiki. If you had asked me what a wiki was before today, I would have told you it was an informational website that could be edited. And I wasn't too far off, but I did not think of all the possibilities that a wiki could be used for before I looked at the video Wikis in Plain English.

The library wikis were very interesting. I especially liked the one for Antioch University because it gave its staff a one stop location for all the information its staff needs to know. Our own library could benefit from this. Right now, directions for handling fines, opening and closing the library, etc. are scattered among various notebooks or you have to find the right person to ask. Since I work the desk by myself one night a week, I would definitely like to be able to access the information I need without having to place a phone call to a staff person's home or waiting until the next morning to find out. The one wiki I found a little disturbing was the one for the University of Limerick because it contained advertising, which turns me off somewhat. However, all the wikis listed did seem to contain useful information and I like the idea that they could be updated whenver necessary without having to go through a webmaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment