Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Thing 19: Multimedia

Even though I do admit to watching YouTube videos when people send me certain links, by and large, I usually think of it as a vast wasteland. But like anything else, I can see it does have its uses. A video promoting the services our library can provide might get the message across to students who ignore our pamphlet - plus it can show administrators what we actually do here.

I did look through a few YouTube videos that were done through academic libraries - I looked at one from the Berkely Campus of the University of California titled Building Academic Library 2.0 which addresses many of the topics we have learned about through this project.


I picked the YouTube video (from the Central Rappahannock Regional Library) that I included here because it shows the effects of budget cuts on libraries in a humorous but effective manner. It is a tad long, but if you watch it all the way through, I think you will definitely empathize with a library staff that is still trying to meet its demands by the patrons while going through budget cuts ( I esp. liked it when the front desk computer used to check out patrons was suddenly replaced by an abacus).

No comments:

Post a Comment